Tuesday, March 14, 2006

early morning rant.

This makes me angry. I'm usually cranky when I wake up, and I just got up 15 minutes ago, but this isn't making my mood any better. Because of a Supreme Court ruling three years ago, colleges left and right are either shutting down their minority programs, or opening these doors for all comers.

My point is this - minorities need opportunities to get into the door. We're not talking about picking the black kid over the white kid here, people. We're talking about making it possible for the black kid to go to an outrageously expensive school by giving him some extra cash.

Full disclosure - I was the recipient of a full scholarship from my alma mater. And, without that scholarship, I wouldn't have been able to go. Sure, I could have gone to a community college, or a local university, but I wouldn't have had the same education opportunities at those places.

I love this quote - couldn't be more right on:
Advocates of focused scholarships programs like Theodore M. Shaw, president of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund Inc., challenge the notion that programs for minority students hurt whites. "How is it that they conclude that the great evil in this country is discrimination against white people?" Mr. Shaw asked. "Can I put that question any more pointedly? I struggle to find the words to do it because it's so stunning."



Amen.

3 comments:

An A-List Celebrity said...

This fits in quite nicely with the so-called "anti-Christian" movement (see degradation of Christianity in replacing "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays.")

Seriously, what the hell is going on in this country?

Lady Wyntir said...

Not to mention they've cut back on scholarships all together. The GOV might be giving more money in grants, but they're cutting back on loans...

coincidence? maybe, maybe not. as a minority still in school, this should be interesting... >_<

~wyn

Miss Fire said...

Long comment coming. Getting you back for the other day. This angers me, too, but in a whole different way.

“Minorities need opportunities to get into the door.” Of course they do. But just because we’re white doesn’t mean the world is our oyster. It’s assumed that because whites are white, we just breeze on in. That couldn’t be further from the truth.

“We're not talking about picking the black kid over the white kid here, people.” But you are. Your saying that black kids need more opportunities simply because they are black.

“We're talking about making it possible for the black kid to go to an outrageously expensive school by giving him some extra cash.” Why can’t a poor white kid get some extra cash, as well? Again, white does not equal privilege.

“I was the recipient of a full scholarship from my alma mater. And, without that scholarship, I wouldn't have been able to go.” Why were you awarded that scholarship? Did you have great grades and test scores, or did the school just need to add another black to its head count? I’m not trying to insult your intelligence; I’m just trying to be honest about this. Are you ok with being a head count?

“Sure, I could have to a community college, or a local university, but I wouldn't have had the same education opportunities at those places.” This white girl had to slum it at a community college and then a local university. My parents could not afford to pay for my college. I had to work full time and go to school part time. I could not get aid or even a loan to save my life. Why? Because I made too much money at my full time job. And I was not a minority. That’s what I was told by the financial aid officer. She was Hispanic.

"How is it that they conclude that the great evil in this country is discrimination against white people?" “They” conclude that any and all discrimination is evil, period. The great evil in this country is that some people think that they are entitled simply because of the color of their skin. College-bound white kids should not have to suffer because of the oppression their white forefathers wreaked 200, 100 or even 30 years ago. Mr. Shaw needs to get over it. It’s 2006. The playing field has been leveled – your team just needs to get in the game and play.

Scholarships, grants, and loan aid should be awarded based on financial and scholastic criteria only, not the color of a person's skin. If you need help, you ought to be able to get it no matter what race or ethnicity you are. We shouldn’t be defined by the box we check on the application.

Don't forget - former members of the Taliban get a free ride at Yale! Illegal aliens can pay in-state tuition! More scholarships are given to foreign students than American students! A-list said it best - what the hell??