Sunday, October 07, 2007

i don't normally do this

I don't have a specific number of people that read this blog on a regular or semi-regular basis. I know that the number is between 10 and 100. Some of them I know, and some of them I don't. But I have a sneaking suspicion that many of you are like me:

young (under 35)
college-educated and/or intellectually curious
not rich/saddled with debt, school or otherwise
working to create the best life possible for yourself

(if not, that's ok - keep reading, please)

I just finished a fantastic book, called The Trap: Selling Out to Stay Afloat in Winner-Take-All America, by Daniel Brook, and I have to say that it's one of the most brilliant books I've ever read. (It ranks right up there with Cornel West's "Race Matters", which I think should be recommended reading for all Americans.) It basically takes on what I call the John Edwards conundrum - you know, Two Americas?

You should read this book if you've ever had the following questions:

Why do I have to choose between doing what I love and making a viable salary?
Why is it so hard to find affordable housing in my city?
Why do I feel as if I can't ever make a difference?

This book challenges some closely held conservative ideals, so some of it might be hard to stomach for those of you on the right side of the political spectrum, but I urge you to read it nonetheless. I'd really like to hear some feedback from people, positive or negative, so if you get a chance to check this out (it's less than 200 pages), please share with me your unvarnished opinions.

And thanks to the young woman who recommended this to me...I'm still searching for an appropriate blog name for you...

No comments: