Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Strike! (and a couple of other things)

DH tagged me the other day - first time it's ever happened to me - and I decided to post my response over at my other blog. After all, Infinite Monkeys is billed as "a place for everybody". So head over there if you want to find out what makes me weird.

Day 1 of MTA Transit Strike '05. Fortunately I'm staying at my brother's place in 2NY, so I'm safely out of the fray. The pictures that we're seeing on the news are crazy - traffic is as bad as I've ever seen it. I was supposed to meet up with some friends tonight, but I don't think that's going to happen.

This is the third major event that New York's been hit with in the last five years (9/11 - obviously on a bigger scale - and the blackout of '03 being the others), and each time I've been amazed at how New Yorkers have behaved. Specifically, everyone stays fairly calm and pulls together to make the best of a bad situation. Not only are people calm, but they actually seem to be in a good mood!

This is really different from the New York I grew up knowing. Much of my family is from this area, and I remember hearing all sorts of horror stories about the city growing up from them. And, if you've ever read any of the many books written about the city in the '70s, you know that the city was on shaky ground in many ways. Anyway, that's probably why I half-expect the city to explode and descend into anarchy every time something major happens.

Hip Hop School update coming soon - I'm trying to keep them as separate posts, for the most part...

1 comment:

Marj said...

3 1/2 hours to get to work....
2 hours to get back home.

People were generally friendly, since we all knew we were not to blame... hahahaha

i can't say working for the MTA is a good thing right now. Lot of hate going in that direction.

Glad you weren't in the mess of things. Vacations should be about down time, not wondering where your next ride is coming from. hee hee

~wyn ^_^