Thursday, December 15, 2005

ex tour '05

As a general rule, I've decided not to blog much about my dating life. There's a whole list of reasons why I've decided to do this, but that's another post for another day. However, I can't resist writing about this little aspect of my trip to the city:

The main reason why I came here for two weeks (instead of visiting Mom and Dad, getting completely rested up and spending no money) was to see my old friends. And, for some reason, a lot of my friends I've seen this week have been ex-girlfriends. I think the count is up to three already (it would have been four, but one of them cancelled on me).

It's always interesting to see someone that you used to date. I always find myself asking two questions: why did I go out with you in the first place? and would I ever go out with you again? Those aren't necessarily negative questions, either. Sometimes I end up totally clicking with someone and wondering why I ever broke up with them in the first place. Of course, I can also totally have a great time with someone and walk away saying, "That's why things never worked out, and that's why nothing will ever happen again."

When I tell people that I'm seeing so-and-so, who I dated for two months in the summer of '01, or whatever, people always say, "How can you be friends with so many of your exes?" And I don't really have a good answer for that. Sure, I go through periods of time, especially when I break up with someone, when we're not really talking. But we always seem to end up reconnecting. I guess I value being friends with the women I date first - after all, if you don't like someone, why would you want to make out with them?

Off to see The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe - one of my favorite books from my childhood. And I'm only going to pay $6, which is a steal in this town...

6 comments:

Bright-Eyes said...

Not to burst your bubble, because I know you love her....but I think I know one who doesn't qualify because she was never really your girlfriend.

At what point are you not just dating and then become an item?

Melissa said...

K Lance, you're a chick magnet. It's in your personality. I'm surprised everyone isn't your ex. Several of us from the HS crew included. Besides, how can someone not be friends with you? You're one of the friendliest people I've ever known.

P.S. My dad asked me the other day how you're doing and he still wants to know when you're going to be on SNL. He says that show needs you. He's been saying that since we were freshmen. It cracks me up.

Bright-Eyes said...

People only get the honor of the term "ex" if they were my boyfriend. It isn't the same as just dating.

I mean, I am SO not the queen of dating, but someone who is an "ex" has to have been a significant part of my life in the area of romance and emotion and bladadee bladadee blah.

One date? pashaw!

But to each his own. I mean, you do get the advantage of calling someone who was super hot and together your ex, as if they were your girl/boyfriend, even if they weren't. Boosts the market value of your ass.

heh heh heh

The Rover said...

I agree with Bright Eyes' definition, for the most part...and, under the course of said definition, the girl you are thinking of qualifies. So there. I wouldn't call all of them "girlfriends", however.

Thanks for the props, M. Wait, we gotta talk about who else from back in the day was interested...

Bright-Eyes said...

too-shay, mon frair...too-shay.

Melissa said...

Ha! Curiosity is piqued?