Wednesday, January 24, 2007

my trip

I had some coffee to fuel me through the drive home, since I only got 5 1/2 hours of sleep last night and I was yawning around 7. So I made the drive ok...but now I'm not sleepy at all. Nice job, Mr. Genius. Hence, my random thoughts about my day trip today.

- Enterprise gave me a Chevy Cobalt. It was ok...but, if you're going to go through the trouble of renting a car, they should at least provide you with power locks and windows. Is that too much to ask?

- Lots of cops on the road, especially in NJ. Of course, it is close to the end of the month...

- Cruise control is for pussies.

- Every time I go to DC, I think that it's a place that I would love to live eventually. It just seems really cool.

- I hate actors.

- My audition went well, but I have no idea if anything's going to come of it.

- I love the DC Metro. LoveloveloveloveLOVE it. The arched ceilings, the signs telling you when the next train is coming, the simple, easy-to-read maps, the clean carpeted cars - it's a joy to ride on. Nothing beats the NY system for replacing a car, but DC's got a lot of things right. Can they call the MTA? Just to give them a few pointers?

OK, OK, I know you want to hear about the main event. The date.

Well...

I still want this woman to be Mrs. Rover. She's gorgeous - she has one dimple, which kills me. We had a great time. We spent over two hours in the restaurant, and the food was great, and we talked about our families and politics and astrology and music and our jobs, and there was a lot of the "when you meet so-and-so they'll be a lot nicer than that" and "let me know if so-and-so plays in your town 'cause I'll totally come". I picked up the check at the end (naturally) and told her that it was her birthday present, and she said that she would have to reciprocate.

But, when she dropped me off at the train station, she just kind of stopped the car in the middle of the road, and the good-bye was kind of hurried and awkward. There was an attempt at a hug, but you know how seat belts fuck that kind of thing up, and I told her that I'd talk to her soon.

And then she was gone.

She did have guests at her house that she needed to take care of. Or...maybe she just wants to be friends with me. I don't know.

(Not sure if I mentioned this or not before, but apparently there was, at one point, a boyfriend in the picture. But I was assured that he was "not marriage material". And, apparently, I am. Or was.)

As I was waiting on the platform, I really wanted to call her and say the following:

Hey, listen, I just really needed to call and tell you this. I don't know what your situation is right now, but I just wanted to let you know that I think you're amazing. You are smart and funny and articulate and beautiful...you actually take my breath away. And I know that I'm in New York and that you're in DC, and I don't know how to go about this at all, but I really hope that we can try to start to develop something here. Because I like you. A lot.

(Is that cheesy? That's actually pretty close to what I was planning to say - I didn't have the ending worked out, but it definitely included the four adjectives and the breath thing...because I literally couldn't breathe the first time I saw her.)

Anyway, I called one of my friends and she told me that I shouldn't call her, because (a) if she thought the evening was good, she was probably kicking herself for ruining the final moment, and no comment from me would change that; and (b) if she didn't have a good time, or wasn't feeling it, she might think I was a bit psycho. Another friend said that I need to call her and thank her for a good time, and tell her I want to see her again soon, and perhaps the conversation on what the deal is will naturally occur from there.

So...that was my day. Thoughts/comments/questions are welcome.

Up early t'm'row to return the Cobalt (which wasn't even cobalt-colored - dumb!) and then prepare for two huge auditions, which (of course) are Wednesday and Thursday. No rest for the weary.

6 comments:

L. Britt said...

I'm very glad that didn't call her last night. But do call her today. That will definitely let her know you are interested. Chat it up for a while, but at some point get specific about your desire to see her again. Try and make a date. (Another things boys don't do...which will let her know you're down).

Now, this is the important part: pay attention to her response. Don't brush it off if it's vague or weird or distracted. Don't make excuses for it. Because if she likes you and wants to hang with you again, she will do so. If she doesn't, she will be vague and weird. PLEASE don't let your love for her cloud what's in front of you.

And I'm also glad that you didn't tell her that wonderful monologue. Take this desire to fuel the getting-to-know-her part! Especially since there is/was? a boyfriend in the picture. If she's attracted to you, OF COURSE she's going to downplay him! That doesn't mean it's necessarily the truth.

You have to be open to outcomes, not attached to them. You already have the conclusion, so now you're in danger of keeping the details that support your conclusion and brushing off those that don't. That may get you in trouble.

Very smart of you to pick up the check, especially since you can write it off on your taxes!

Lizzy said...

I have a lot of thoughts on the girl situation (the romantic in me disagrees with the don't deliver the monologue perspective, but then again I've been out of the dating scene for a long time and watch too many movies) that I'm not going to share right now... what I DO want to hear about is the audition since I'm familiar w/ the DC theatre scene so please send me an e-mail and fill me in.

DH said...

Personally? I liked what you would've said. I've never been one to subscribe to 3-day rules or anything like that.

And I have to confess, that if using cruise control makes me a pussy, so be it...it saves me money on speeding tickets and insurance. Whenever I'm not using cruise control on the highway, I find myself easily going 15-20 miles over the speed limit.

Good luck with the auditions (and the girl).

Keep us posted.

Melissa said...

You know what? DC's only a 4 hour bus ride away. Chinatown to Chinatown for $35 round trip. :)

If I were you, I'd tell her.

The Rover said...

Just to clarify to everybody: I like this girl a lot. But I would definitely not say that I'm in love with her.

Anonymous said...

Those words are amazing as long as she wants to hear them!!

And therein lies the question.

Move forward a bit and then check her response.

Great advice above!

Hope all is well Rover!

bellacara