For the record, I hate Valentine's Day. HATE. I've never had a good one, and even back in elementary school, when we had to exchange those little Peanuts-type cards, it struck me as just an exercise in angst. All those dumb questions just flooding your mind:
- She gave me a card with "love" in it - what does that mean?
- Will she like me if I give her the Peppermint Patty one?
- Why don't I have a Valentine?
- Who gave me the anonymous card? Do they really love me?
And then, when you are actually with someone:
- What do I buy her?
- Will she read too much into this gift?
- Did I buy her enough?
It just strikes me as really, really dumb. And I'm a romantic! (as you probably have judged from the PB saga)
So rather than getting all wound up, I just don't celebrate it. This can create some sticky situations when I'm dating someone, but I think that the attention I give my SO's the other 364 days of the year make up for this one.