Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I wanna be like Bill & Chuck

Even if you're not a sports fan, go check out this conversation at ESPN.com's Page 2. Bill Simmons (aka The Sports Guy) and Chuck Klosterman (Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs) exchanged e-mails for several days, and they cover a huge range of topics. The one to watch for in this segment covers the first third of the article, involving New Media, the value of pop culture, and the blog revolution. But the whole series is worth checking out.

I kind of aspire to be a hybrid of both of those guys. They manage to write like regular people, but they always have hysterical and/or intelligent insights into the little things of life that we all enjoy. Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs is one of the coolest books I've ever read...Klosterman is able to find meaning in The Real World, for Pete's sake. And it actually makes sense. And Bill Simmons makes me feel normal for being obsessed with sports, in part because there's about a million people out there who read him and feel the same way.

I suppose it's all about finding your voice. I'm able to express myself through my job (I'm an actor, so I tell stories for a living), but I've always been fascinated with the written word. So that's why I blog, I guess.

Thoughts? Tell me what you think of the Simmons/Klosterman conversation...

1 comment:

DH said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't talk about my love for sports on my blog very much...pertains too much to the public me for me to write comfortably about on the DH blog.

That being said, I'll tell you that Simmons is my idol.

If I don't get his book for Christmas, I'm going to be major league pissed off.