Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New Year's meme 2009

OK, as we've established, 2009 sucked big fat donkey balls. But before we forget about it forever, why not get a little bit more in detail about the (occasional) ups and the (numerous) downs of the year? I mean, I didn't share a lot of it here. So consider this like the recap of 2009. You know, before we start 2010.

Here we go. Thanks, belle chanson, for giving me the idea.


What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
I flew a plane and steered a boat in consecutive days. That was pretty awesome.

Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Well, here's the list, if you're so inclined. I did pretty well, actually, except for the debt thing.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Melissa did! And her baby is awesome!

Did anyone close to you die?
Yes - my friend's father, unexpectedly. Very sad. My heart goes out to her and her family.

What countries did you visit?
I stayed home in 2009 - but I went all over this grand country of ours. So I think that counts.

What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Oh my God, this list could break the internet. I'll oversimplify this and say that I'd really like a bit more consistency in my life.

What date(s) from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Probably the two worst days: April 16 and September 24. But I do have fond memories of February 1 (the Steelers, people!).

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I'm tempted to say, "Getting up in the morning," but that would be overly flip. Probably moving into my own apartment...that was really exciting. I also think that walking away from my relationship was a really difficult - but necessary - decision, and I have to continually remind myself to give props for that.

What was your biggest failure?
Obviously, the relationship is up there, and all of the stuff around it. Funny that it can be both.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Um...yes. A bacterial infection severely disrupted my life for two months, culminating in a four day hospital stay in late September. Turns out that it's really been affecting me for years; just not to this degree. I had a wicked sinus infection in January. I also pulled a hamstring for the first time, strained a quad, and injured my shoulder (the last two thanks to flag football). Good times.

What was the best thing you bought?
Since I don't actually own my apartment, that can't be it. I'd say the flat-screen I bought on December 29...except that it arrived broken on the 31st.

Whose behavior merited celebration?
My family and my close friends. They got me through the year.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Personally, I don't really have an answer for that. How about all of those angry people who emerged AFTER the election? The time to have an effect on the process, people, was during the Presidential election in '08.

Where did most of your money go?
Probably to coffee shops so I could get online, and booze.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Doing my show in the first few months of the year. Moving into my new place. Spending lots of quality time in Sleepy Hamlet. Coming back to Brooklyn at the end of the year.

What songs will always remind you of 2009?
John Legend & Kanye West - "It's Over"
Keri Hilson & Lil Wayne - "Turnin Me On"
Jamie Foxx - "Blame It"
Black Eyed Peas - "I've Got A Feeling"
Drake - "Best I Ever Had"
Jay-Z - "Empire State of Mind"
Owl City - "Fireflies"

Compared to this time last year, are you:
I. Happier or sadder?

This answer kind of shocks me...but I think I'm happier.
II. Thinner or fatter?
Thinner, but not by much.
III. Richer or poorer?
Poorer, because I'm unemployed.

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Working, I guess!

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Spending time online and at home.

How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas in California with my family - very nice.

Did you fall in love in 2009?
No.

How many one-night stands?
Zero. I'm not really a one-night stand kind of guy.

What was your favorite TV program?
The Wire narrowly edges out Mad Men. They're like 1A and 1B.

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No.

What was the best book you read?
I read this play that literally left me sobbing at the end of it - and, of course, I can't remember the name of it. I also really loved a book called Free For All by Kenneth Turan and Joseph Papp, about the creation of the Public Theater in New York.

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Maybe Drake? I think he's really great.

What did you want and get?
Independence, I guess.

What did you want and not get?
Several jobs I really wanted slipped out of my grasp, or just blew past me. I didn't land a new agent.

What was your favorite film of this year?
Up. So great. Pixar is highly underrated.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old?
I turned 32, and I had a fantastic day. Had some one-on-one time with a few good friends and my brother. It was low-key, and totally awesome.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I think landing a summer job would probably have done the trick. This is a tough question to answer.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Growing up slowly.

What kept you sane?
My friends. The Steelers and Penguins both winning championships.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I have a major-league crush on Kristen Bell.

What political issue stirred you the most?
I guess health care? After the excitement of the 2008 election, I didn't emotionally involve myself too much in politics in '09.

Who did you miss?
Maxine.

Who was the best new person you met?
Haha...this is a tie. I met several people while volunteering this summer, and as a group they are kickass! But I also have to give props to the woman I dated this fall - she is super fun.

Was 2009 a good year for you?
In a word - no.

What was your favorite moment of the year?
I don't know that I have one. There are certainly a few that I treasure:
- arriving in Old Village with the rest of my cast, and stepping out of the airport into near-perfect weather on New Year's Day
- getting In-N-Out Burger at midnight after the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII
- seeing my mother like a little kid at the Grand Canyon
- moving into my new place
- volunteering and getting to "work" at the beach for a week with a great kid
- meeting a girl I really liked and feeling flip-flops in my stomach for the first time in ages
- seeing my best friend in her biggest production to date - and watching her crush the role
- going back to my Alma Mater and being put up in a ridiculous hotel
- my friend's wedding bringing so many Sleepy Hamlet cohorts together
- being congratulated by dozens of kids after a week at a high school and seeing that we had made a difference for them

Despite it being a lame year, there were some great moments.

What was your least favorite moment of the year?
It's a tie. The night/morning that I broke up with Maxine was horrific. And going to the hospital after throwing up all over myself (I don't know how I didn't get the paramedic) and laying in a bed in the ER feeling the worst pain I've ever felt in my life.

Where were you when 2009 began?
At Melissa's house.

Who were you with?
Maxine.

Where will you be when 2009 ends?
I was at the Flying Squirrel's house.

Who will you be with when 2009 ends?
With my friends.

What was your favorite month of 2009?
January and February were pretty good, but October was the best, despite feeling like crap.

How many different states did you travel to in 2009?
Twelve. But I won't tell you which ones. (Nice try, but I'm not ready to blow my cover yet.)

How many concerts did you see in 2009?
A couple of small ones, but nothing huge - which was nice for a change.

Did you have a favorite concert in 2009?
I went to a fun one in Sleepy Hamlet in October.

Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
Yes.

What was the worst lie someone told you in 2009?
Ooooh. I don't know...probably something from my agent.

Did you treat somebody badly in 2009?
Yes.

Did somebody treat you badly in 2009?
Probably.

If you could go back in time to any moment of 2009 and change something, what would it be?
I'd probably end my relationship with Maxine sooner, honestly.

What are your plans for 2010?
That's an excellent question! I'm still figuring it out. I know that I need to put myself out there personally and professionally. I guess I just want to continue the healing process, live a healthy life, and continue to make myself happy.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: