Saturday, September 27, 2008

debt

Reading about our economy going into the tank - something I've been doing a lot the past couple of weeks - has me thinking a lot about my own financial situation. You see, I have a lot of debt.

Like, a lot.

Like about six figures bad.

Most of my debt is "good" debt, from grad school. I have no idea when that will be paid off. My parents are helping me with some of it, but it's going to be a long time before I pay that off.

I do, however, have a sizable credit card debt. I've been trying to pay it off for almost ten years, but it keeps growing. I made a real dent in it 2 1/2 years ago, but it's swollen up again, to unprecedented levels.

Watching the government struggle with debt makes me realize that I have to get serious about paying mine off. I know that part of the problem is lack of steady work, which shouldn't be a problem for the next few months - but I also need to make some lifestyle changes, and make paying debt as much of a priority as paying my rent, or my phone bill.

I know I am capable of doing it. I just need to focus.

No comments: