Saturday, September 20, 2008

crack heads

Due to overwhelming demand...

I don't live in a "bad" part of Brooklyn, by any means, but it could be said that I border some "questionable" areas. Generally, the biggest problem in my neighborhood is the sheer amount of trash that is everywhere. It drives me crazy.

Lately, though, we have had a number of crackheads patrolling our streets.

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of dealing with someone who is on crack, it is quite an experience. Basically, they're like human zombies. They're totally operating in their own world. They're constantly in search of money for their next high. And a lot of them will do...um...let's say "inappropriate things". For example, one time I was on a subway somewhere in America, and a crackhead was violently scratching her crotch and/or masturbating on the train. For twenty minutes.

It's quite sad.

Anyway, I've had two encounters with crackheads lately. The first was at one of my local cafes. I was ordering something at the counter when a crackhead came in asking for something: money, food, I can't remember. The guy at the counter said no. The crackhead then flipped out, yelling and stomping her feet. She then defiantly walked over to the spot where all of the coffee accessories were laid out, pulled out a bunch of sugar packets, and ran out.

The counterman's response to all of this? "She comes in here every day. And every day it's the same thing."

The second experience was far more disturbing. There's a fast food restaurant on the corner of my block, and I generally cut through the parking lot on my way to the subway to save a minute or two. Occasionally there are people leaned up against the building, or sleeping somewhere next to the restaurant.

HOWEVER:

the other day, as I turned the corner into the parking lot, there was a man laying down, half on the sidewalk, half in the drive-thru lane, slowly rolling from his back to his right side. He was mid-roll when I saw him, and the first thing I noticed was that his pants and underwear were pulled down to about mid thigh. When he started over towards his side, however, I noticed the truly disgusting part - a sticky brown line extending from the pavement to his buttocks.

The man was taking a dump.

Next to the restaurant.

While lying down.

It may have been the grossest thing I've ever seen.

And that, folks, is my neighborhood. No wonder I'm psyched about moving.

No comments: