Thursday, February 03, 2011

this is your life

Do you ever have one of those moments where you kind of look at your surroundings and think, "This is my life?"

I had one tonight.

I was enjoying "Taco Night" at a bar in the big city. I was waiting in line for tacos, and I just started noticing the clientele...and realized that the people there were pretty...um..."rural", for lack of a better word. And, hey, there's nothing wrong with that...but I would never describe myself as "rural" in a million years.

It's usually at moments like that that I am reminded of the fact that I'm the only black guy in the room. And, right on cue, a white guy wearing a baseball hat cocked to the side walked by me, noticed my blackness, and said, "Eh, what up, bro?"

I'm guessing he doesn't say that to random white guys.

Hey, I made the decision to move back to Sleepy Hamlet full time. And it's been OK, for the most part. I just wish it was a little more diverse.

1 comment:

Jessa said...

It's kind of like being back in Boulder, eh?