Thursday, March 24, 2005

Hip-hop school

My first lesson for the guys included these songs:

Run-DMC - My Adidas
Salt-n-Pepa - Push It
LL Cool J - I Need Love
Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock - It Takes Two
Slick Rick - Children's Story
LL Cool J - Rock The Bells
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Parents Just Don't Understand
Eric B. & Rakim - Don't Sweat The Technique
LL Cool J - Going Back To Cali
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Summertime

This is skewed towards my tastes, the things I listened to as a child, and since I spent some time as a kid in New York, and seeing as how most of my extended family is from New York, obviously I lean towards East Coast hip-hop. I tried to stay "mainstream" with the artists; as much as I love D-Nice, I don't think most people know his stuff. There were a couple of other tracks that I really wanted to put on here - notably the Sugar Hill Gang and Melly Mel - but I couldn't find their tracks on iTunes, and I don't have the CDs, and I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars buying music so my friends can be enlightened. But if you want to send me the tracks, feel free.

This is just the basics for the 80's. This week we're jumping into the 90's, which I've divided into four sections: early East Coast (to '95), early West Coast (to '95), the Biggie/2Pac era, and the late 90's (the bling bling phase).

Let me know if you think I made any serious omissions...

4 comments:

Bright-Eyes said...

Kid n' Play?
They started in the 80's....

or what about Fat Boys? Come ON!

Doug E Fresh? Public Enemy? EPMD?

Bright-Eyes said...

Also what about some of the early stuff by LL?
Hard as Hell...yadda ...is that not mainstream enough? Maybe not..
This is when I used to LIKE Rap. The later part of the 90's marks a significant downslide for me. Around Puffy era....but I guess you will be getting to that in the next installment. I will try not to be to opinionated, but I can't promise anything. ;-)

Dr. The Bird Man said...

Please Don't forget, De La Soul and Tribe Called Quest in the Early East Coast section. Along with the Beastie Boys, its the only hip hop I really like.

The Rover said...

PE was an omission - they're in lesson #2

Lots of Tribe in Lesson #2. Would have put De La in there but I can't get their stuff on iTunes. There's tons of LL too...